Playgroundz analysts have studied the current demographic of gamers. The study covers the mobile market, esports and streaming services.
In the gaming industry, men and women are equally represented. But Playgroundz predicts that by 2020, the number of female players will exceed the number of men.
Women are definitely in the lead in mobile gaming.
- Women make up 75% of the total number of smartphone players;
- and 60% of the total number of players on tablets;
- in addition, women bring 68% of income to the mobile market.
The overwhelming number of streamers and esports players are men.
- Men are 70% of YouTube players;
- and 81.5% of players on Twitch;
- and 78% of esports players.
The number of gamers is growing both among young people and among the older generation. Since 2016, both age groups have been spending more and more hours a week playing games.
- for players aged 15-19, the number of hours per week increased by 33%;
- for players 55+ years old, it has increased by 16%.
Current demographics show that the leisure economy is growing and thriving, as the authors of the study emphasize. According to their forecast, this growth will continue in the foreseeable future.
There is no economic ceiling for the video game industry, as well as for the leisure economy.
Founder of Playgroundz
Also on the topic:
- Who plays mobile games?DeltaDNA: women spend more in mobile games than men
- Sources: Playgroundz, Gamesindustry.biz