The Trump administration announced the launch of the Clean Network program, which aims to protect data from the “Chinese threat.” The initiative should limit the activities of application developers, mobile operators and smartphone manufacturers in the United States.Main provisions and objectives
- prohibit Chinese operators from accessing telecommunications networks in the United States and providing services in the country. For example, China Mobile falls under this item;remove unreliable applications from American stores to protect users’ personal data.
- The document says that Chinese programs “spread viruses, propaganda and disinformation”;prohibit smartphone manufacturers from pre-installing applications in their own stores.
- This paragraph is primarily directed against Huawei, which in the text is accused of violating human rights and calls on American and foreign companies to refuse to cooperate with the company.Also, the “Clean Network” may prohibit American companies from storing data in Chinese cloud services owned by Alibaba, Baidu and Tencent.
The latter company, for example, uses its servers to serve players in the USA.
Finally, the organizers of the initiative plan to protect the data transmitted via underwater cables from the activities of foreign intelligence. In this matter, the United States will work against China together with other countries.
The “Clean Network” is based on the initiative “Clean Path for 5G” (5G Clean Path), which was presented on April 29. The new program will work on the territory of 30 more states. “By building a ‘clean’ fortress around our citizens’ data, we will be able to strengthen national security,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a statement.
In addition to TikTok, which Microsoft plans to acquire, many other Chinese companies and services may be under threat of a ban. These include WeChat, Likee, Zynn and Weibo apps, as well as smartphone manufacturers like Xiaomi, Vivo and Oppo.
Also on the topic:
- Trump banned ByteDance and partially Tencent transfers to AmericansMicrosoft announced its intention to buy TikTok amid threats to ban the application in the United States
- The US wants to block TikTok and a number of other Chinese applications
- Is there any news?
Share it with us, write to email@example.com