To use the Oculus VR headset, you now need a Facebook profile. Since October of this year, new users will not be able to create their own Oculus account, and support for old accounts will cease in 2023.
The new rules were published by Oculus VR in its blog.
A brief excerpt from the statement:
- the changes will take place in two stages: in October 2020 and January 2023;
- the October changes will mainly affect newcomers. They will not receive a separate account for the headset and will log in immediately via Facebook;
- Also, from October, all as-yet-unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if the helmet owner already has an Oculus account.;
- old accounts on old Oculus devices may not be merged with Facebook until January 2023, but in this case, such users will not have access to social VR functions and, possibly, to some games;
- after merging the accounts, you will not be able to disconnect them back;
- The main goal is to create a single login to all Oculus devices and make social functions available to all users. Among them are searching and communicating with friends, broadcasting games in the chronicle of the social network, group calls, events, etc.;
- Both companies will have access to users’ personal data, but will only use it to show personalized content.;
- The social network itself will be responsible for data privacy, not the Facebook Technologies division.;
- Most users are already logged into Oculus with a Facebook account, so the final transition process will be painless.
Oculus VR is a company that produces VR helmets and virtual reality software. The gradual process of integration with Facebook began back in 2014, when the social network acquired Oculus VR.
Also on the topic:
- Oculus Go VR helmet to be removed from saleFacebook sued the Russian firm that appropriated the Oculus brand
- Research: which players get seasick in VR helmets and why
- Is there any news?
Share it with us, write to firstname.lastname@example.org