SuperData analysts summed up the results of last December in a fresh review of the digital games market, telling about the most successful projects of the month. Among them are Cyberpunk 2077, Fortnite and GTA V.
- in December 2020, gamers spent more than ever on buying digital versions of games. The total earnings of “figures” on all platforms reached $12 billion – 15% more than in December 2019. Moreover, this is the highest monthly income in history;
- mobile’s revenue increased by 5% year—on-year, and sales of digital games for consoles – by 16%;
- at the same time, PC segment revenues jumped by 40%. For this, it is mainly worth thanking the high-profile release of Cyberpunk 2077.
The highest-grossing December games on PC, consoles and mobile devicesData on individual games:
- the main game of last month turned out to be Cyberpunk 2077. Its release was the largest in the history of sales “in numbers” both in terms of revenue and circulation. Analysts did not disclose the earnings of the title, but noted that 10.2 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077 were sold in December. This estimate also included refunds, which, according to analysts, did not have a significant impact on the total revenue of the project. A significant part of sales (80%) came from PC;
- That December, Fortnite’s revenue on PC and consoles was the highest since August 2020, and the number of players — since August 2019. It was possible to achieve such indicators, including with the help of the Marvel Comics event, in which 15.3 million people participated at the same time. The release of in-game cosmetics based on the Star Wars, Halo and The Walking Dead franchises also contributed;
- monthly revenue from the sale of digital copies of Grand Theft Auto V has set a new record thanks to the launch of The Cayo Perico Heist update. Analysts again did not name specific figures for the earnings of the game, but they shared indicators for the audience. Last December, the number of GTA V players increased by 46% compared to November, but did not exceed the peak set earlier in 2020.;
- Among Us lost some of its audience after the November peak, but it was still 2.8 times more popular than the next most popular Roblox project. In December, Among Us was also released on the Nintendo Switch. This version of the game sold 3.2 million copies and became the most profitable last month.