Nintendo Switch is changing the console market in the same way as the Wii did at the time, analysts at Interpret believe. She captivated an audience with games that had not been interested in them before. We are talking about people aged 45-65 years.
Analysts wrote about this in their latest report.
We have selected the main thing from the document:
- 2020 has become a landmark year for Switch in many ways. Even before the winter holidays, Nintendo managed to sell about 68 million consoles worldwide, while in 2019 this figure was significantly lower — 41 million. As a result, the annual growth was an impressive 64%;
- in 2020, it became clearly noticeable what impact the Japanese hybrid console had on the gaming industry. Switch was actively bought by a new audience, those who either had not played on consoles for a very long time, or had never done it at all;
- This has led to an increase in the number of people who have Switch as the only console in 2020. There were 25% of such gamers. Despite the fact that in 2019 there were 12 of them%;
- according to analysts, attracting players aged 45-60 years has become one of the key factors of strong sales for Switch over the past year;
- other sales drivers include the release of a cheap Switch Lite in the second half of 2019, as well as the release of high—profile titles like Animal Crossing: New Horizons and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.